WineHQ should discourage the use of cracks

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 08:46:03 CST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>  Would you also object to removing high ratings from
>  apps that need cracks?    IMHO "Gold" ought not to
>  imply that one has to seek out a crack (and thereby
>  potentially infect your machine with malware).

To me the whole concept of Gold meaning anything that works our of the
box with no dlloverride changes, is broken. I am willing to concede
Bronze for cracks if Silver means dlloverrides depending on MSFT
runtimes. I have ethical reasons for this that transcend copyright.
Wine dcom development stagnated for too long because we were able to
get by with dcom9x and the thought of certifying an application as
Gold with Microsoft dlls hurts the project long term more than it
helps.

--
Steven Edwards