WineHQ should discourage the use of cracks

Guillaume VanderEst me at gn0me.org
Tue Mar 4 10:34:20 CST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> Would you also object to removing high ratings from
> apps that need cracks?    IMHO "Gold" ought not to
> imply that one has to seek out a crack (and thereby
> potentially infect your machine with malware).

If you think about it, we could technically add cracks to the AppDB and
give them platinum rating if they're doing what they're supposed to be
doing. ;-)

But in semi-seriousness, I agree completely.  Legalities of cracking aside,
we're trying to judge if the application works perfectly.  Wording regarding
cracking should probably be removed from the site as it sets a weird tone,
but the RATING of a program should be completely dependent on its working
state out of the box.

If a DLL isn't supported, or something isn't yet programmed, then that is
the
curse of working on a project that isn't 1.0 yet. :-)