WineHQ should discourage the use of cracks

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 10:47:57 CST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Guillaume VanderEst <me at gn0me.org> wrote:
> But in semi-seriousness, I agree completely.  Legalities of cracking aside,
> we're trying to judge if the application works perfectly.  Wording regarding
> cracking should probably be removed from the site as it sets a weird tone,
>  but the RATING of a program should be completely dependent on its working
> state out of the box.

I have to disagree here. The appdb is where people go to find out
about application compatibility, providing some information related to
the question "Will I be able to run this app in Wine, and if so how?".
If we only based ratings on how well applications work out of the box,
a Garbage rating would apply to any app that requires some extra step
to run, even if the extra step is grabbing MFC42.dll and putting it in
system32, as well as any app that no one has been able to run yet.
That's not very useful.

> If a DLL isn't supported, or something isn't yet programmed, then that is the
> curse of working on a project that isn't 1.0 yet. :-)

Not at all. We can expect to see such things happen long after 1.0 is released.

--
Vincent Povirk