WineHQ should discourage the use of cracks

Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes alex at thehandofagony.com
Tue Mar 4 11:53:47 CST 2008

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Vincent Povirk
>
> <madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Something like this might actually make more sense:
> >
> >  Garbage: No functionality, impossible to set up
> >  Bronze: Somewhat functional, may require hacks
> >  Silver: Mostly functional, requires hacks
> >  Gold: Mostly functional, does not require hacks
> >  Platinum: Fully functional, does not require hacks
> >
> >  This would give a fair amount of information about both the level of
> >  functionality and the difficulty, and it would mean anything that
> >  requires hacks cannot be rated Gold.
>
> That's a step in the right direction.  As long as we don't explicitly
> mention cracks, I'm ok with that.
> - Dan

I'm not sure if we should remove the option for 'fully functional, requires
hacks'.  A lot of people come to the AppDB to find out how they can make
their apps work, and are more interested in the end result as opposed to how
to get there.

It might not be a good idea, but we could always introduce a new rating so
that we have

> >  Garbage: No functionality, impossible to set up
> >  Bronze: Somewhat functional, may require hacks
> >  Silver: Mostly functional, requires hacks
> >  Gold: Mostly functional, does not require hacks
>>   Ivory: Fully functional, requires hacks
> >  Platinum: Fully functional, does not require hacks

Not saying it's a good idea.

Otherwise, adding a 'difficulty' field sounds interesting.  This would allow
users to easily avoid apps that require a really complicated work-around,
such as patching and compiling Wine.  Then we could also add an option to
turn on warnings if an app requires a crack, or we could censor it
automatically based on GeoIP data.

Regards,

Alexander N. Sørnes