WineHQ should discourage the use of cracks

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 12:58:12 CST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes
<alex at thehandofagony.com> wrote:
>  I'm not sure if we should remove the option for 'fully functional, requires
>  hacks'.  A lot of people come to the AppDB to find out how they can make
>  their apps work, and are more interested in the end result as opposed to how
>  to get there.

In practice, is there really enough difference between "fully
functional" and "mostly functional" that we need another rating?
People who only care about the end result would know that anything
Silver or above will just about work.

I've seen Gold applied to software that is really "mostly functional,
requires hacks", i.e. there are some other minor problems that can't
be worked around (and Platinum for software with minor problems as
well).

Then again, if we add a few more variables, we can express the ratings
with radar charts. ;)

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9466/screenshot5ec1.png

--
Vincent Povirk