WineHQ should discourage the use of cracks

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Mar 4 14:07:20 CST 2008

Vincent Povirk <madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com> wrote:
>If we only based ratings on how well applications work out of the box,
>a Garbage rating would apply to any app that requires some extra step
>to run, even if the extra step is grabbing MFC42.dll and putting it in
>system32

This is a valid concern.  I think we may end up having to
deal with this by providing an easy, standard way to
install the most commonly needed, legally redistributable
dependencies.   For instance, we might bundle a couple
of key demo apps with Wine; if we choose carefully,
we can probably find a set of apps that will just happen to
install all the commonly needed redistributables.
- Dan