Screen mode retrieval/trace tool for Windows

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Tue Mar 4 20:56:26 CST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Stefan Dösinger <stefan at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 5. März 2008 01:38:59 schrieb mark cox:
>
> > Perhaps use detours to hook the ChangeDisplaySettingsEx function and dump
>  > the devmode structure to a file?
>  That's rather complex, a simple C app calling
>  EnumDisplaySettingsEx(ENUM_CURRENT_MODE) called from command line should do
>  that as well, and it is much easier to write

I'm having some trouble getting such an app compiled.  I'm using MinGW
5.1.3 on Windows XP.  Here's what's happening:

>type x.c
#include <windows.h>

int main()
{
        DEVMODE dm;
        dm.dmSize = sizeof(dm);
        EnumDisplaySettingsEx(NULL, ENUM_CURRENT_SETTINGS, &dm, 0);
        return 0;
}

>gcc -c x.c

>gcc -lgdi32 -luser32 -o x x.o -mwindows
x.o:x.c:(.text+0x5e): undefined reference to `EnumDisplaySettingsExA'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I'm not very familiar with building applications that use the Windows
API with MinGW so it's very likely that I made a silly mistake.
Suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Denver