DestroyWindow behavior differences between Win9x and Win2k/xp

Justin Chevrier jchevrier at nexicom.net
Mon Mar 10 14:06:49 CDT 2008

Hey guys,

I'm looking into a crash of Master Of Orion II on exit (both in Wine and
Windows XP). The problem appears to be that the program is attempting to
do a DestroyWindow on a different thread. This is not allowed by our
code and that behavior is backed up by MSDN documentation. This behavior
was allowed on Windows 9x however. I have confirmed that removing the
thread check allows the app to exit cleanly, but of course that is not
an acceptable fix. As this is a full screen app the game's window stays
on top in a partially drawn state and exiting requires doing an alt-tab
to the console. Opinions on the correct course of action to resolve this?

Thanks

Justin Chevrier