improve winetricks dotnet 1.1

Maarten Lankhorst m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:22:13 CDT 2008

Hi,

2008/3/12, Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani at redhat.com>:
> James Hawkins wrote:
>  > On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>  >> Louis wrote:
>  >>  > Hi, i wonder if it would be possible to improve
>  >>  > winetricks dotnet 1.1, so that it's actually able to run
>  >>  >.net-1.1 applications. Currently it only installs the framework,
>  >>  > but due to bugs the apps don't run.   Atm i use pretty worthless
>  >>  > script below to get them running..
>  >>
>  >>  I'm kind of hoping James implements the missing bits in msi
>  >>  soon.  James, think that will happen soon enough that
>  >>  there's no need to update winetricks?
>  >>
>  >
>  > Just sent in the service patch.  If you're referring to anything else,
>  > I'm not sure what it is.  MsiPublishAssemblies won't see the light of
>  > day for a long, long time, because it requires fusion.dll being
>  > implemented.
>
> Implementing fusion.dll sounds like a GSoC project to me (no clue how
>  much work that is). At least getting the basic structure in place should
>  be doable.
It doesn't seem that hard to implementi the fusion dll. The hard part
is that you will probably have to dipe really deep into assemblies for
it if you want to implement it properly. I don't know the specific
code paths taken, but msdn seems to have at least some info on it.

I think that the fusion dll is installed when installing the .net
framework because my windows xp install doesn't have it in system32.
It is in C:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\${VERSION}, which means
it's probably installed as part of the .net framework. Calling it from
MSI doesn't seem to be too hard.

Cheers,
Maarten.