Wine Security Disclosure

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Sun Mar 16 10:21:42 CDT 2008

"Dan Kegel" <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> It's not enough to provide Wine and throw up our hands
> saying "It's up to users to protect their systems"
> because our users are at worst quite literally clueless,
> and at best too busy to want to bother with virus issues.
> If we can guide them or ease their way, we should.

How other projects that provide cross platform compatibility or even
virtual environments to run executables from DOS/Windows/etc. cope with
that? Do they provide any information of possible security risks, or
they assume that the users of a being run software treat the execution
environment same way as an emulated one, and therefore it's fair to
assume the same level of awareness/responsibility as an emulated one
has? What's so special about Wine that doesn't apply to say VMWare,
Parallels, Win4Lin, DOSBox, and others? Probably yes, we could extend
the FAQ section about security, but that's almost everything we can do.

--
Dmitry.