[4/22] WineD3D: A shader backend descriptor for the ati fragment shader backend

H. Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 10:22:30 CDT 2008

On 17/03/2008, Stefan Dösinger <stefan at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> From the atifs API putting the code into its own shader backend really helps
>  abstraction and efficiency in wined3d(e.g. different state linking). nvrc has
>  a vastly different API(individual stages instead of one "atomic" program that
>  can't be split up).

That's more an issue with the state table design than a reason to
create a new shader backend. A more hierarchical state table would
probably have helped there, but the general issue you're trying to
solve is that you want the state table to change depending on the
available extensions and wined3d configuration. I don't think that's
limited to shaders or fragment processing. If a GL3 spec ever actually
gets released, and actual drivers start implementing it, we'll run
into it there as well.