Running services in WINE?

Christopher raccoonone at procyongames.com
Mon Mar 17 11:21:47 CDT 2008

Mikołaj Zalewski wrote:

>> If we wanted to implemented a SCM where would that reside? wineboot?
>>
>  The SCM is the servies.exe program. Other programs using advapi32
> communicates with it using RPC. I've started writing it - see
> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2007-September/044396.html
> . The problems with widl are fixed so it should be possible to add
> this code to Wine. Probably this code should be updated to current
> Wine and I'm not sure if I moved all the database query function to
> services.exe (it's good to more them all in one go to avoid
> discrepancies between the current advapi implementation that relies on
> the current state of registry keys and services.exe that loads all the
> keys at start time and keeps them in memory).
>  I may have some time to work on it and I can help if someone who
> wants to do it (if one wants to have an idea how the SCM works there
> is a chapter about it in "Windows Internals" by M. Russinovich and D.
> Solomon).
>
> Mikołaj Zalewski

Thanks for sending in your patch Mikołaj, I tested MozyHome with it, but
it didn't help anything, the service still wouldn't start. I don't have
the experience to work on that patch by myself, but if someone else
starts on it and would like assistance making tests or something I'm
happy to try.

Christopher Berner