Translations and Wine 1.0

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Mar 18 13:01:08 CDT 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Lei Zhang wrote:
[...]
> I think basically the workflow is:
>
> * put phrases that need translation into the work queue.
> * select the languages it needs to be translated into.
> * people offer suggestions, and launchpad offers suggestions for the
> same phrase already translated in other projects.
> * pick the most appropriate suggestion.
> * watch the percentage bars go up.

I think the problem is extracting the strings to translate from the rc
files, and combining the translations with the reference rc file to
generate a translated rc file. Besides the issue of handling include
files and macros, one aspect that spices things up is that the
translation may need to tweak the widget sizes in order for the
translated text to fit. How to represent that is not clear.

Still I think it would be doable with some conventions (e.g. prepend
the geometry data to the string to be translated). Might make a good
GSoC project:

   Create a tool to manage rc file translations and integrate them with
   standard localisation tools such as the PO tools or
   https://translations.launchpad.net/.

One possible starting point would bethe po4a project.
http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/

Btw, is the translations.launchpad using po files?

        It really galls me that most of the computer power in the world
                          is wasted on screen savers.
                     Chris Caldwell from the GIMPS project
                       http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm