[4/22] WineD3D: A shader backend descriptor for the ati fragment shader backend

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg231 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 08:19:02 CDT 2008

Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 19. März 2008 07:46:07 schrieb Ivan Gyurdiev:
>
>> Why do you need to reroute the shader path through atifs to support an
>> unrelated set of functionality (ffp replacement)? Isn't it possible to
>> have an ffp_backend, and a shader_backend (shader being the d3d shader),
>> and you can implement both differently, with different APIs?
>>
> Sounds all great and cool, but: How do you handle a case of a d3d vertex
> shader + fixed function fragment processing using a GLSL shader replacement?
> An Uber-Shader-Backend that links the shaders together?
>
> I can happily drop the strange routing through GLSL and the none shader
> backend for ATIFS, or with ARB pixel shaders enabled. In that case we'll just
> don't make use of it on ATI 9500+ cards until we have an ARB or GLSL
> replacement.

I'll get back to you on that later tonight, need to think about this
some more - way late for work right now... (thanks to you!)

However, yes, I think there needs to be distinction between a standalone
shader concept, and a pipeline concept, which is concerned with linking
several multifunctional shaders together - your "uber-shader-backend".
Lack of distinction on this point is causing all this confusion.

Ivan