Appdb nice urls: best way to test indexing of production data

John Klehm xixsimplicityxix at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 11:12:59 CDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Chris Morgan <chmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can provide help with integrating the code with the appdb if you
>  have any questions. The real question I've got, since I haven't done
>  it before, is how to get the path the user specified, eg.
>  appdb.winehq.org/vendor/adobe (or whatever), into a php script so we
>  can redirect to the list of applications for the vendor 'adobe'.
>
>  Chris

Well that did take a bit for me to work out as well here is what is
working for me on my apache 2.2.8

You have to have allowoveride Options in the parent conf files and then

filename: htdocs/appdb/.htaccess
RewriteEngine On
Options FollowSymLinks # need this as well as RewriteEngine On to
acutally get it going
RewriteBase /appdb/
RewriteRule ^app/(.*)$ matchAppByName.php?AppName=$1

This will let you have:  $1 is matched by the part of the url that is
not matched by http://hostname.com/appb/app/

e.g. appdb/app/adobe-photoshop-cs2
Results in matchAppByName.php?AppName=adobe-photoshop-cs2

I'm not adverse to help with appdb whatever gets it solved more quickly =)

Be careful when choosing your rewritebase as its more important than
you'd think =P

Hope this helps,
John