Wine1.0 and LGPLv3?

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Wed Mar 19 14:55:42 CDT 2008

Ian Macfarlane wrote:
> Just to resurrect this topic, as last time, of the responses to my
> email, two were positive (and the other just pointed out that I'd
> mistaken the Samba licensing for LGPL instead of GPL) but nothing else
> happened after that.
>
> Seeing as Wine is officially going to be having a 1.0 in the not too
> distant future, this would seem like the ideal time to introduce a
Quite the contrary, this is the worst time to introduce a license change
as it drags developer time into unnecessary license discussion.

> license change (e.g. Samba went to GPLv3 along with a version jump). I
> remember the WineConf 2007 presentation PDF from Alexandre mentioned it
Right, we discussed the issue at the Wine conference and there was 1
vote to move to LGPL v3. The rest didn't care and prefer to stay with
the existing LGPL v2 until there is a compelling reason to move to v3.

> as a "post-1.0" possibility - it would seem to me that 1.0 would in fact
> be the ideal time to make such a change - being able to say "anything
> pre-1.0 is LGPLv2+ and anything 1.0+ is LGPLv3+" is quite nice and is
> easy to understand.
Wine 1.0 should have been the X11 license ... ;)

bye
	michael