Google Summer of Code Test Suite project

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Mar 19 18:31:03 CDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Corey McClymonds <galeru at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to work on the Regression Suite project, but I'm not
>  quite sure of the scope.  Would I be choosing a good 30 or 40
>  applications that run well on wine, using wpkg to install them, and
>  then test for failures?  Because that would seem as though I am only
>  doing installer testing, instead of actual application testing.

That would be fine for starters.

>  would also like to do some sort of automated regression testing for
>  actual features you can easily test, if that would be possible.

That would be icing on the cake.

Application testing is insanely difficult.  Even installer testing
is difficult to actually deliver.  I would prefer that you aim
to get a simple run-this-script-and-it-tests-N-installers
script working and in the wine developers' hot little
hands ASAP before you get fancy and try to make
it test more than just installs.  Because essentially
all efforts to do that in the past have failed.

Make sense?

FWIW, here's my first try at it from long ago.  It's a minimal little
script that just tests one app's installer.   I would prefer you
start with something this simple.
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2006-July/049913.html
Also, maybe you could make some use of Lei's yawt script,
http://code.google.com/p/yawt/
It's kind of overkill, but it takes care of comparing registry keys and files
created by the installer.
- Dan