First steps to make Win32 app running under Wine

Martin Hinner martin at hinner.info
Thu Mar 20 05:31:08 CDT 2008

On 3/20/08, Marcus Meissner <meissner at suse.de> wrote:
> Best bet is to just check for the registry key HKLM\Software\Wine

I know also other methods, this is not a problem, I just wanted to ask
if it's possible to get some "official wine api" for all this stuff.

>  > - load native Linux library and perform ioctls (ioctl(2), not Windows
>  > IOCTL!) on file handles
> Needs code in your application, but is technically possible.

I know, the question is again about getting this officially into wine
so as I don't have to make my own built-in .dll.so

>  > - get somehow access to files in Linux filesystem (i.e. in /dev)
> Same as above. No need for any specific code if you map Z: to / for instance.

And if user does not? It would be nice to do
_wine_open("/dev/something", O_RDWR) from my app.

>  > This would allow to easily modify our source code in a few places
>  > (i.e. hardware routines) and get it quickly running under Linux.
>  >
>  > I can do all above by writing some built-in dll that would work just
>  > for my case, but I think *maybe* it's worth it to provide some generic
>  > interface in Wine??
> Hmm. We might be able to do this via msvcrt ioctl perhaps? No idea.

IMHO it would be nice to have "standard" wineapp.dll.so that would
work as a proxy between posix functions for applications that are
aware about Wine. Such DLL would be a great helper! In fact I would
need only dlopen() and dlsym(), maybe also uname()  :-).

This library could be loaded from Win32 app using LoadModule(..) on-demand.

Martin