Game Performance and Grafik Cards

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Thu Mar 20 09:42:10 CDT 2008

> Hi,
>
> I have read many valuable information from Detlef, Roderick and Stefan
> about this topic. Thank you very much for this so far!
>
> e.g.
> http://wiki.winehq.org/DirectDraw
> http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys
>
> and some comments in bugzilla.
>
> But it is still very hard for me to tell what I need to do to improve
> performance. All I have is trial and error.
>
> What I'm missing ist some kind of feature list for the different grafic
> drivers. It would be very helpfull to have more infomation which
> features are supported and how well supported with the most important
> drivers and for which cards:
>  - RADEON
>  - AMD Catalyst
>  - Nvidia binary
>
> Another thing I'm missing is a guid how I can tell which features my
> game needs.
>
> Then I could bring this information together and find the best match.
>
> Like "your games uses xxx and the driver supports yyy, in this case use
> switch zzz for best results".
>
> Is there any chance that we can get this in the Wiki?
>
> Once this information is available the application maintainers in the
> AppDB could start to add recommendations for each game and make it more
> easy for beginners as well.

I think we want to discourage the use of register settings as much as possible. A lot of users don't understand well what options mean and use bad combinations. We are thinking about detecting the best settings at wine startup using perhaps basic benchmark tests. That would be the best for everyone. Using registry settings you would then be able to override the automatic option.

That's just my opinion.

Roderick