[4/22] WineD3D: A shader backend descriptor for the ati fragment shader backend

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Thu Mar 20 09:45:37 CDT 2008

Am Donnerstag, 20. März 2008 15:26:07 schrieb H. Verbeet:
> On 20/03/2008, Stefan Dösinger <stefan at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> > On IRC I think you once mentioned making the shader backend an object,
> > and since we don't have a C++ compiler anyway I concluded COM. (That was
>
> In essence an object is just a call table with some data, you don't
> really need a C++ compiler for that. (And that specific discussion was
> about moving the private data of the shader backend out of the device
> and into the backend itself). COM would add a lot of stuff that we
> don't really need.
Agreed. However, I'd rather use COM and have a few simple IUnknown methods
hanging around that are not used instead of inventing yet another way to
implement object to keep the code more readable. COM is a well-known scheme,
so it will keep the code more understandable.

If we use COM and make the state table a per-shader-backend property I'd
shadow the pointer in the device though, to avoid an extra function call in
each MarkStateDirty call.