loader: more stringent sanity check

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 17:55:43 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
>>  I hope you are not seriously suggesting that we do this...
>
> Seriously.
>
>>  I'm not at all convinced that we need even a warning, there doesn't seem
>>  to be much concrete evidence that running as root is actually harmful,
>
> Many, many newbies are running wine as root without
> really needing to.  They are much more likely to screw
> up their systems this way.  Are you saying we should stop
> advising against this?
They are working as root. They are screwed already! Though I would keep
the warning.

>>  and it's necessary in many cases. Refusing to run is clearly not an
>>  option.
>
> That's why the override is provided.
>
>>  If we really need to have something then it should be at most a one-time
>>  warning (in a message box so people have a chance to see it) at
>>  wineprefixcreate time, with an easy way to disable it.
>
> Then the newbies will just click past it.
Put in a timer forcing the people to read it for 10 to 20 seconds. If
they click past that and still go on ... *shrug*. Welcome to the real
world: they are screwed already so let them screw them self up a little
bit more if they want. Freedom of choice.

bye
	michael