Google Summer of Code - Case Insensitive Filenames

Cesar Izurieta cesar at ecuarock.net
Sun Mar 23 11:06:43 CDT 2008

Here are some ideas of what I think could be implemented for the FUSE
project for GSOC.

- This FUSE can be a "proxy" filesystem. This means that we could use
an existing filesystem and mount this proxy filesystem and make it
appear as case insensitive. This means that if there's a file named
"A.txt" on a folder and I copy "a.txt", "A.txt" should be overridden.
Same logic for other cases.

- A utility to test for invalid filenames (like "A.txt" and "a.txt" on
the same original directory)

- Is there any need to simulate windows' permission schemes
(inheritance, ACLs) when using this filesystem?

- Since this will be a proxy filesystem, there is the chance to
present some folders with different names. For example "Program Files"
could be presented as "Archivos de Programa" when mounting the
filesystem with a Spanish locale. The original folder will be still
there and you could cd to it and both will point to the same back end
folder.

If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Cesar