Google Summer of Code - Case Insensitive Filenames

Cesar Izurieta cesar at ecuarock.net
Mon Mar 24 19:38:31 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Corey McClymonds <galeru at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/23/08, Cesar Izurieta <cesar at ecuarock.net> wrote:
>  > Here are some ideas of what I think could be implemented for the FUSE
>  >  project for GSOC.
>  >
>  >  - This FUSE can be a "proxy" filesystem. This means that we could use
>  >  an existing filesystem and mount this proxy filesystem and make it
>  >  appear as case insensitive. This means that if there's a file named
>  >  "A.txt" on a folder and I copy "a.txt", "A.txt" should be overridden.
>  >  Same logic for other cases.
>  >
>  >  - A utility to test for invalid filenames (like "A.txt" and "a.txt" on
>  >  the same original directory)
>  >
>  >  - Is there any need to simulate windows' permission schemes
>  >  (inheritance, ACLs) when using this filesystem?
>  >
>  >  - Since this will be a proxy filesystem, there is the chance to
>  >  present some folders with different names. For example "Program Files"
>  >  could be presented as "Archivos de Programa" when mounting the
>  >  filesystem with a Spanish locale. The original folder will be still
>  >  there and you could cd to it and both will point to the same back end
>  >  folder.
>  >
>  >  If you have any other ideas please let me know.
>  >
>  >  Cesar
>
>  Are you going to do integration under wine, or are you going to just
>  do the file system.  For instance, what happens if you run wine in a
>  folder that isn't case insensitive?

You could mount a case insensitive proxy to the whole file system
(starting from /) somewhere in .wine, maybe .wine/drives/x or
something like that and have wine access files only through .wine and
never from outside.

I'm pretty sure this could have performance penalties but I guess we
will have to find out how much performance you loose by using this
approach using some benchmarking tools or writing some test code for
that.