Google Summer of Code - Case Insensitive Filenames

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 12:02:32 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 17:21:20 Austin English wrote:

> An option yes, but it should not be the default course of action. As
> Rahyen said, a predictable order should be used, and when there are
> conflicts, pick the first in that order for presentation through the
> FUSE system. User can then rename files/delete files to get the one
> they want (or if possible, have a configuration menu to adjust chosen
> file order/allow exceptions, etc.).

As long as it's configurable, I don't care about the default. I'm just
concerned that the most important reason to use a case sensitive file system
(i.e. not having to check for all possible capitalizations) will suffer from
having to check if we're allowed to just overwrite or not will suffer.

How about simply refusing to mount if there's e.g. two files like foo and Foo?
Then the user gets to clean up manually before being able to mount.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin