[GSoC][RFC] Case Insensitive Filesystem

Marc Andre Tanner mat at brain-dump.org
Wed Mar 26 17:17:28 CDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 06:10:16PM +0100, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Marc Andre Tanner <mat at brain-dump.org> writes:
>
> > Yes that's true the case information is lost but is it really needed?
> > If you create the files with the original mixed case you will have to
> > scan the whole directory in order to match it to a given filename.
> > And if i am not mistaken this is exactly what wine does.
>
> Yes, and that's precisely because Wine wants to preserve case, so that
> tools that look at the filesystem directly see the right thing. If you
> are going to store everything lowercase in the filesystem, then we could
> just as well do that inside Wine, without a FUSE module.

I am not quite sure whether i understand what you mean. Let's say we
mount the case insensitive filesystem at ~/.wine/drive_c this will
then preserve the case of the filenames the actual data which is all
lowercase is in ~/.wine/.drive_c. So as long as the applications are
looking for the files in ~/.wine/drive_c everything is fine. Now when
you unmount the filesystem or simply look into ~/.wine/.drive_c the
case information is 'lost' (it's still there in the extended attributes
but no one cares about it).

If this is all wrong, then what is the FUSE module supposed to do?

Thanks,
Marc

--
 Marc Andre Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: CF7D56C0