Fw: Re: Google Summer of Code 2008 - joined openprinting+wine project?

Marcel Partap mpartap at gmx.net
Wed Mar 26 18:23:40 CDT 2008

Hi Hin-Tak,
to sum it up, I was the one working on that project and I hit some ehh.. problems ;)
Anyways, my final result was that I got something out of the printer drivers I tried with, but
useful results depended on something that is referred to as the ominous 'DIB engine'. Coincidently,
there was another SoC project done by Jesse Allen which started implementing that. That code ended
up at http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/dibdrv.git, and just as mine, general+AJ's consensus was to start
merging it post-1.0. Now I didn't have time to look again at it up to now (uni!) but I still want to
finish this, just not as part of a SoC project. Also I wouldn't recommend that to anyone, except he
REEEAAALLY does grok all those mysterious inner-GDI concepts (DIB DDB DDI...) that this project
touches. I myself have not fully reached insight of how best to merge the current winex11drv,
wined3d and Jesse's dib engine, but I'll have a thorough look at it in the next few days. Another
unsolved issue is whether to teach wine's internal GDI functions to speak DDI or rather to build a
wineddi.drv bridge thing. I tried both approaches but there was no clear decision whether to use one
or the other, with Alexandre's stance being 'once something actually works we can talk about that'.
Also my code to make printer drivers work depends on some stuff within the localspooler code, I have
to investigate how far Detlef got it to work regarding installation of drivers.
Oh yeah and that printer proxy was only a DLL to see how native windows communicates with the
drivers without getting into disassembling stuff.. the results scared me, astonishing levels of
redundancy.. Anyways, even though all the bits and pieces of how to make native drivers actually
work with wine are lying around, this is neither a fun nor a beginner's task (I know that now *g).
That said, I'm going to look into it and hope to come up with something in the next few days.
regards marcel.

--
   "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
                                                               -- Henry Ford (1863-1947)