[GSoC][RFC] Case Insensitive Filesystem

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 20:25:09 CDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Cesar Izurieta <cesar at ecuarock.net> wrote:
>  > Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>  >  > Yes, and that's precisely because Wine wants to preserve case, so that
>  >  > tools that look at the filesystem directly see the right thing. If you
>  >  > are going to store everything lowercase in the filesystem, then we could
>  >  > just as well do that inside Wine, without a FUSE module.
>
>  We could do this for the drive_c directory but what about /? you
>  cannot enforce that there. Maybe this part project should be divided
>  into two different problems. 1. How to achieve that for drive_c, and
>  2. how to mount a proxy filesystem for / and apply some rules when
>  conflicting files exist, as keep the newest conflicting file with the
>  original name and rename other files like it was proposed on another
>  thread on this list.

We could do this in wine itself for drive_c, which is where most of
the problem seems to lie (assuming no one links their program files to
a different mount point). Most performance issues/problem are with
patches or with installers searching for lots of files (within
drive_c). While it would be ideal to do this for the entire FS, doing
it  for drive_c should resolve most issues.