gdi32-related commit between 0.9.57<->0.9.58 broken .NET2/Systems.Windows.Forms

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Wed Mar 26 21:22:25 CDT 2008

Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> --- On Wed, 26/3/08, Huw Davies <huw at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> <snipped>
>>> If ukai is affected, I would suspect uming (also from
>> Arphic)
>>> would be the same? and how many non-english fonts one
>> want to
>>> "work-around" like this?
>> I've not seen any problems with uming.  Most
>> 'non-english' fonts will
>> work fine.  There's something very specific about ukai
>> that causes
>> native gdiplis to have problems.

>> bug, try that
>>> Thanks - but I also have uming, and a a fair number of
>> other fonts
>>> shipped from fedora for non-english. (over 100).
>> Please try the patch and report back.
>
> Yes, your patch works alright - it is just ukai and nothing else. I'll put it on the bug report as well. Ukai (or rather, the original Arphic kai font) was the first
> commercial quality chinese font released under an open license, so you are going to
> have a lot of people - 20% of the world is Chinese, and also linux is rather more officially popular in China due to licensing/cost/idealological reasons and some
> non-chinese will install "everything" - being affected by this. I don't know if it
> is ukai-specific or any Arphic kai derivatives, but if it affects any Arphic kai derivatives, filtering by font name as your patch did won't be effective.

Looks like a time to start blacklisting fonts then. If the font is invalid
and does not work even on windows yet it is available in the system - that's
the only thing Wine can do. Or just contact all distros to remove it. Or
request packagers to refuse installing Wine if said font found in the system.

Vitaliy.