Implement VBScript for Google Summer of Code

Jim Chen jim at darchons.net
Fri Mar 28 00:47:43 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I have this idea of implementing vbscript.dll for Google SoC. Any
comment would be appreciated before I start working on my proposal.

The reason for implementing vbscript.dll is because right now there's
nothing in the trunk about it. jscript.dll has a stub, but
vbscript.dll doesn't, and it's an area that I think I can work on.
VBScript is used by the Windows Installer, can be potentially be used
for DirectMusic script (from http://wiki.winehq.org/DirectX-ToDo), and
some applications use it.

Just the core language/runtime (vbscript.dll) is implemented, no extra
COM/OLE objects such as FSO (file system object), etc. (unless I have
time). The language by itself is designed to be simple and easy, so an
interpreter shouldn't be hard. I wrote a C-style script interpreter in
Java this past year. For a few years I used to hack VB, and I know the
language and VBScript is just a cousin of VB. The runtime library is
not big, and writing it shouldn't take too much time either.

I think the hardest part would be to implement the COM interfaces that
deal with scripting. And that's the area I know least about.

Thanks!
Jim