GSOC proposal: DirectPlay4

Matthew Canterbury canterbury.matt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 13:50:02 CDT 2008

Hello everybody,

I plan on applying for Google's Summer of Code to work on DirectPlay4
support in wine. (This was mentioned on the ideas page,
http://wiki.winehq.org/SummerOfCode). I've looked at the code currently in
wine, and it looks like there is some work done, but a number of the
functions exported in the corresponding dlls are stubs or partial stubs.
Alot of work needs to be done to dplay to make it more compliant (or at
least more functional). This would allow several games that depend on
DirectPlay to work without copying dll's from a windows partition. So I
intend to makes sure the IDirectPlay4 COM interface is sufficiently
implemented and that it meets the requirements set forth in in the
DirectPlay4 specification. If time permits, I'd like to look into the
Reliable Specification for DirectPlay4, but i think implementing just the
core specification will keep me busy. I've never worked on an open source
project before, but I have wanted to for quite some time. I'm looking
forward to contributing to a project that I've used quite a bit in the past
few years. ;)

I thought I would introduce myself a bit here. I'm currently a computer
engineering student at a University in the United States. I've been
programming since I was about 13, and I've had all kinds of personal
projects from a somewhat functional 3D game engines to a ray tracer. I was
also chosen to participate on our school's team for the ACM programming
competition. In short, I'm a programmer at heart.

I'm putting the final touches on my application and would greatly appreciate
any thoughts or comments before I submit it through Google.

Thanks,

Matthew Canterbury