Proposal: versioning .wine directory

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Mar 30 10:38:30 CDT 2008

On the wine-users list, we're getting a lot of users who
have old or even ancient .wine directories, and
whose problems go away with a fresh .wine directory

Perhaps we should have wineprefixcreate stamp the version
of wine the .wine directory was created with,
make wine-1.0 refuse to run with pre-1.0 .wine
directories, and require that future versions
of wine run properly with .wine directories created
by any earlier stable release of wine.

It wouldn't be hard, at least at first, and it might save a lot of
support inquiries.  What say?