Proposal: versioning .wine directory

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Mar 31 04:44:33 CDT 2008

"James Hawkins" <truiken at gmail.com> writes:

> If we have a stable wine prefix in 1.0, I don't see what could
> possibly be added in 1.2 that would break that.  The idea is that,
> even if you add a new dll that needs to be registered in, say, 1.0.5,
> you still don't need to remove your wine prefix or reinstall any apps.

That should already be the case, there's nothing magical about 1.0 that
would suddenly cause that to happen. And if there are cases where it
doesn't work we have to fix them before 1.0 is out. I think we should
stop telling people to blow away their .wine, and have them run
wineprefixcreate instead.  Then if wineprefixcreate doesn't do the
update correctly we need to figure out why and fix it.  Once we are
confident that it can do the update safely we can have it run
automatically when it detects an upgrade.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org