Time-based releases idea

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sun May 4 22:28:39 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> I just wrote up an idea related to release management for post-1.0
>  wine releases.  It's online at
>   http://wiki.winehq.org/TimeBasedReleases
>  Essentially, the idea is to release in March and September,
>  in time for the April and October releases of Ubuntu.
>
>  For instance, following this strategy, we might plan to release
>  wine-1.2.0 in September 2008 or March 2009.
>
>  The alternative is to propose a set of criteria that wine-1.2
>  needs to meet, and working until they are met, which
>  is what we did for wine-0.9 and wine-1.0 (I think; it's kind
>  of hard to tell).
>
>  I look forward to discussing this idea... perhaps we shouldn't
>  bother to until after 1.0 is released, but I wanted to get it out
>  early so the discussion can begin in time for us to move on it
>  if we want to.
>  - Dan

I don't think we should schedule our release schedule around Ubuntu's.
Just because it's very popular (and possibly our most widely used
target), doesn't mean we need to revolve around it. I'd say let's look
at the 1.2 buglist (along with the 1.0's we can't fix), set a goal to
get 1/2 of those fixed, test our 'supported' apps for regressions, and
release then.

Also might consider waiting until 1.0's hit for a month or so and see
what the biggest complaints are, and focus on fixing those for 1.2.

-Austin