wineserver socket file and DOS attacks

Francois Gouget fgouget at
Mon May 5 01:47:52 CDT 2008

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Steven Elliott wrote:

> I have some concerns about the location of the socket file that
> wineserver uses.  Since by default the current location is in /tmp my
> concern is that anyone can stop anyone else from using wine just by
> creating a directory named /tmp/.wine-500.

In /tmp I see the following:

So it seems like if there is a malicious user Wine will not be the only
application that will be affected. So the question is: are all these
apps susceptible to DoS or do they avoid DoS somehow? And if they
prevent DoS, how and is that technique applicable to Wine?

Francois Gouget <fgouget at>
     You can have my guns when you pry them from my kids cold, dead hands.