Time-based releases idea

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon May 5 07:12:42 CDT 2008

Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> writes:

> The alternative, truthfully, is choosing between shipping Ubuntu with a
> 2+months out of date Wine version or an untested one.  Either option sucks.

I don't see how we can possibly have a tested release ready every time
some distro decides to ship. On the contrary, since distros don't give a
damn about Wine and usually do their best to break it (page zero issue
anyone?), we are better off releasing after a major distro release so
that we have a chance to find and fix the latest breakages first.

> Let's face it, we effectively have time-based releases now, since with
> the features-based model 1.0 kept getting pushed back for years and
> years.  Now, that we've finally set a date, we're actually going to have
> one ;)

It's still very much a feature-based model, only of course the desirable
features have been shifting as Microsoft shipped new stuff and people
wanted to run new apps before we supported the old ones properly...  A
deadline is of course necessary at some point, but the date was only set
once we got to the point that a release looked within reach.

Of course our next releases hopefully won't take 15 years each, but I
think it's too early to say if the next release will take 6 months or 2
years.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org