draft Call for Testing

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon May 5 19:45:57 CDT 2008

So, what should we be asking wine users to be
doing once rc1 is out?  How about this:

--- snip ---
Calling all wine users!
Today, after 15 years of development, the first release
candidate for wine-1.0.0 was released.
Wine has been under heavy development in recent
months, and some applications that used to work well
no longer do.  But we don't know which ones!  Please
help us find them, so we can fix them.  Here's how:

0. Make sure your machine runs glxgears properly
(if it crashes, you may need to update your graphics drivers)

1. Install wine-1.0.0-rc1 (you can download it from
http://www.winehq.org/site/download ).
Make sure wine's notepad starts up ok and says
"wine 1.0.0 rc1" when you do Help / About Wine.

2. Visit the Wine application database at
http://appdb.winehq.org/browse_by_rating.php?sRating=Platinum
and pick out a few applications that supposedly work perfectly under Wine
but do not yet have any test reports with wine-1.0.0-rc1 or later.

3. Try installing and running those apps, one at a time.
Before installing each app, delete your .wine directory; that way
you get a clean run, uncontaminated by the previous app's settings.

4. For each app you test, add a test report into Wine's AppDB.

As a token of our thanks, we will pick one of the users who submits
a healthy set of useful test results  and send him or her a tasteful
Wine-themed goodie of some sort.

So fire up your keyboards and start testing!
Thanks, and good hunting!
--- snip ---

(Not sure how the goodie would be handled, but I'm willing to cover the
expenses myself, especially if I get to pick the winner :-)

How's that sound?