Serial port support in wine-1.0: What to do to make it working ?

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Tue May 6 01:24:41 CDT 2008

Pavel Troller wrote:
>   So, what can I do to help fixing these problems ? Should I open a bug for
To solve most/all problems related to hardware one needs to have such
hardware. It's nearly impossible to "simulate" the behavior while reading logs.

> every such a program ? Or just open one bug and state all the programs there ?
> I think that bugzilla contains a lot of bugs related to serial port; is it
> good to add a new ones ?
No, creating duplicates never helps. You are correct there are already
pliantly of bugs for serial communications.

>   I'm afraid I can't bisect a problem between 0.9.40 and current wine, but I
> can make a serial trace for both of them and look at the difference. Would it
> help to find at least this one particular problem ? Or what more can I do
> to make the serial port working ? I can code in C in the Linux environment, but

There are few bugs identified and are set as target for 1.0.0. You can look
at those bugs. Few even list the commit that caused the regression. While
those patches should have been no-ops.

So what you can do is to figure out what really changed and what part of the
change broke the serial port functionality (in relation to each bug/patch).
For this part you will need your hardware. Hopefully this will be enough to
come up with a fix.

Vitaliy.