Serial port support in wine-1.0: What to do to make it working ?

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Tue May 6 22:36:13 CDT 2008

Hi Uwe,

> Pavel,
>
> perhaps compile wine yourself and instrument the serial code with debugging
> output. Try to see what's going wrong. Look at the codes where this happens
> and read the old changelogs, where somebody fiddled witrh the code. Ask
> about what people thought (or smoked) when implementing or offer a better
> implementation.

OK, will do. I'm always compiling wine from source, so I will try to dig into
the driver and search for the bugs there. One of the cases is I think simple,
the device uses normal ASCII protocol and I can talk to it using kermit or
minicom, but the windows program intended to control it simply stucks on the
first command and never gets a reply. I think there is a good place to start.

> There is a big problem with those special devices, as only few if any wine
> developpers have it...

Yes, I know. I hope that there is just a limited number of bugs, but they
affect many such devices, so it looks that the driver is totally broken.

With regards, Pavel Troller