Lots of regressions in games in last few versions

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sat May 10 20:38:21 CDT 2008

James McKenzie wrote:
> Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>> Several latest releases introduced lots and lots of regressions to a
>> point that no games run as-is. Considering that we are at the code
>> freeze, I'd like to see all patches that cause regressions, and all
>> patches that depend on them starting from wine-0.9.58 be reverted.
>>
>> Also each patch to have a conformance test and statement which games
>> where tested and what problems were fixed with each patch.
>>
>> Bugs: 13120, 13110, 13101, 13086 and on and on and on.
>>
>> Can some one explain what's the deal with games not working full
>> screen? Why are there are of the sudden problems with pixel formats?
>> Why lots of games crashing ActivatingContext? Why most games don't
>> work anymore on ATI?
>>

> Ya know there is a way to handle this.  Bashing developers is not one of
> them.  Regression testing is.  Some of our 'users' are not savvy enough
Oh really? So how many regression testing do you need to fix say... bug
11584 Multiple games crash with stack overflow error? 10? 20? 100 (look all
the bugs marked as dups of it)? Unless some one actually starts fixing the
bug, doing regression testing is pointless. Besides lots of new regressions
have regression testing done on them.

> In other word:  Quit whining, and fix it.
I'd love to but I can't. I don't have free several months to understand how
d3d works. All the shaders, surfaces, textures, pixel formats, all the rules
for choosing all the pixel formats, etc.

I'd like to trust all developers to make right decisions about what patches
are low risk and which have to be tested with loads of apps. But it seems I
can't. And no one saying what might break if some patch gets committed. And
of course I understand that most things can't be tested with conformance
tests there. But at least a minimum of several major titles have to be
tested for regressions.

Vitaliy.