Lots of regressions in games in last few versions

Zachary Goldberg zgs at seas.upenn.edu
Sun May 11 11:21:55 CDT 2008

Alexandre,

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Alexandre Julliard
<julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
> "Zachary Goldberg" <zgs at seas.upenn.edu> writes:
>
>> I think most of the participants in this thread thus far recognize the
>> complexity of Wine and the difficulty of the task at hand.  I do
>> believe however, that Vitaliy's original arguement still stands.  Are
>> we working to make Wine 1.0 be the best at running applications that
>> Wine has ever been?  If so then reverting recent patches which break
>> things is a good idea.  If we're _only_ concerned about those 4 listed
>> applications and those still work and the status of other regressions
>> isn't as important then we continue and leave in the regressions.
>
> The goal is to ship with as few bugs as possible, whether they are
> regressions or not doesn't matter for users affected by the bug. I see
> no evidence that Wine as of two months ago was so wonderfully stable
> that going back to it would magically yield a bug-free 1.0.

I agree, and I'm of course not talking about reverting the entire
tree.  Vitaliy has mentioned a few specific patches though (mostly in
d3d I think) which have caused some noise in the gaming realm.  Those
kinds of things are what I'm talking about and...

> So yes, recent changes have caused regressions, just like about any
> other change in Wine. That's what code freeze is all about: try to fix
> the existing problems (including regressions) without introducing new
> ones. We've been in a code freeze for only a week now, I think it's a
> bit early to admit defeat and decide that we can't fix things without
> blindly reverting patches.

I think we're on the same page here.  If we can narrow down
regressions which require large changes (too large to go in during a
code freeze or not enough time before release) the proper course of
action for the sake of having as few bugs as possible in 1.0 is to
revert those specific regression-introducing patches.

You're right though, it has only been a week.  These kinds of things
may be best done in another week or two.

> --
> Alexandre Julliard
> julliard at winehq.org

--Zach