Lots of regressions in games in last few versions

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sun May 11 22:00:29 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Marcel wrote:
>> i don't even see the point of a 1.0 release at this point in time.
>> This project has been a work in progress since 15 years.
>> Why the heck has it been decided to do a 'gold' release *now* anyways?
>
> To get lots more people to try it and report bugs, so it can improve faster.
This is questionable. I can point to several bug reports that have several
dozen people reporting problems and that are still open for years. So just
saying more bug reports results into better Wine is not true.

What it will do is put huge strain on people looking at bugzilla. And poor
bug analysis. Just look at how many d3d related bugs and how much analysis
in each. I'd say about 60% of all of those reports are duplicate, caused by
system misconfiguration, conflicts with other software (compiz anyone?) or
just plain invalid.

Not to take anything away from all the hard work d3d developers did and
continue doing.

> And to get the word out about its rapid progress in the last two years.
> Most people still think Wine can't wipe its nose.
>
> Now, for some users, Wine still can't wipe its nose -- it all depends on the
> app you try.  But it seems that "linux wine sucks" pulls only about
> half as many hits as "linux wine amazing" in a web search, so we
> must be doing something right lately.

For most people yeah it will be a surprise. Until they hit first major
problem. Which will put them back into windows land. You see there are much
more people out there that use PCs as ... tools. Those tools either work or
they don't. Wine just does not cut it. It's a toy not a tool.

Even targeted apps don't work perfectly - have some problems here and there.
People won't stand that. They already feed up with windows...

The only loyal public Wine can have is gamers. And we still ignoring this fact.

Oh and the whole point of wine-1.0 - and the way it's being presented seems
like a joke to me. Give me a break 4 apps?! 3 of which being direct
competitors to native Linux applications! And such an old versions [97] that
no one even uses them anymore.

If anything we should be emphasizing that the code freeze is to stabilize
Wine and fix bugs. ALL bugs regardless of the app.

Vitaliy