mono progress on mixed-mode assemblies...

Kornél Pál kornelpal at gmail.com
Fri May 16 06:04:47 CDT 2008

Hi,

I have spent some time to investigate the mixed-mode msvcrt issue.

There are three different runtime DLLs:
msvcm80/90.dll managed C++ runtime implemented using native code
msvcp80/90.dll C++ runtime
msvcr80/90.dll C runtime

The managed version does only have it's own functionaly while even managed
executables created with MS VC++ import the usual C/C++ runtime
functionality from msvcp80/90.dll and msvcr80/90.dll files.

So there is no need to duplicate C runtime functionality in msvcm80/90.dll.

msvcm80/90.dll files are part of MS VC++ redistributable files just as the
other runtime files are so I think there is no need to duplicate this
functionality because the original MS versions are redistributable with the
applications.

I also have read the EULAs of MS VC++ 2005 and 2008 redistributables and
none of the forbids the use on non-Microsoft operating systems:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

Kornél