Spec OpenGL benchmarks

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon May 19 16:39:47 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Roderick Colenbrander
<thunderbird2k at gmx.net> wrote:
>> On a whim, I tried the oldest SPEC OpenGL benchmark, SPECviewperf 6.
>>
>> SPECViewperf 6.1.2 lives here:
>> http://www.spec.org/gwpg/pastissues/Feb2_02/opc.static/opcview.htm
>> It's also downloadable from
>> ftp://spec.it.miami.edu/dist/gpc/opc/viewperf/specviewperf612is01.exe
>
> First of all these tests should be performed on solid display drivers.
> Second I expect the performance on a Geforce / Radeon card to reasonable to good. For the best performance you likely need a Quadro or FireGL ...

Check and check.  My card is a Quadro FX 1400, and
/proc/driver/nvidia/version says
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  169.12  Thu Feb 14
17:53:07 PST 2008
I believe this is the current released driver.
And my workstation is fast enough; it's a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4
(running at 2800 MHz, according to /proc/cpuinfo)
with 2MB L2 cache.

Not all the tests are so horrible.
My workstation scores 64.5 on AWadvs-04, which according to
http://www.spec.org/gwpg/pastissues/Feb2_02/opc.data/summary.html
matches the performance of a
Dell Precision Workstation 340 2.0AGHz / nVIDIA Quadro2 EX
from 2002.
And on MCAD01, it scores 176, which is almost twice the hightest result in 2002
(though again I'm not sure we display everything properly).

Anyway, as I said earlier, I'm just jazzed this stuff runs at all.
- Dan