Alternate shell?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu May 22 19:59:00 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:31 PM, John Klehm <xixsimplicityxix at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just tried the bb fork xoblite bb3 rc1 on server 2008 and it seems
> to work alright.

OK, now try it on Wine.  A recipe in the appdb would be nice.

I just built ROS explorer from source, and ran its explorer.exe.
It runs, and shows things like My Computer and desktop icons, and
shows a context menu on background.
Oddly, it doesn't show a Start menu.  Perhaps this is a bug in wine,
as the doc claims the start menu is there.

Here's the recipe, in case anyone else wants to try, adapted from
http://www.sky.franken.de/explorer/index.html#compile

sudo apt-get install mingw32
sudo ln -s i586-mingw32msvc-windres /usr/bin/windres
svn co svn://svn.reactos.org/reactos/trunk/reactos/base/shell/explorer
cd explorer
vi Makefile-MinGW
change three lines:
-CC = gcc
-CXX = g++
-LINK = g++
+CC = i586-mingw32msvc-gcc
+CXX = i586-mingw32msvc-g++
+LINK = i586-mingw32msvc-g++

make -f Makefile-MinGW

This fails because windres can't find windows.h.  I hacked around it like this:
 cd ~
 mkdir w32api
 cd w32api
 wget http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mingw/w32api-3.11.tar.gz
 tar -xzvf w32api-3.11.tar.gz
 cd ~/explorer
 windres -I ~/w32api/include/ -DWIN32 -D__WINDRES__ -DNDEBUG -DUNICODE
-o explorer.coff explorer_intres.r
 make -f Makefile-MinGW

And surprisingly, that built explorer.exe.

The menus are messed up (they contain garbage text), and
as I said earlier, there's no start menu.
- Dan