Can I do this in WINE?

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sat May 24 00:55:48 CDT 2008

Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>> Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
>>> I ONLY want to write a Windows app I can install on my OWN copy of
>>> Tablet XP on my OWN Tablet PC and then run from Linux via WINE.
>> So you want that everyone drop everything they are doing and start
>> doing something that no one else can possibly use? Because it's either
>> illegal, too costly or depends on hardware that non one has?  What a
>> wonderful idea!
> No, I want to develop a solution that anyone who has a Tablet PC can use
> to remain in Linux/Unix while using their OWN Tablet PC and the legal
> copy of Tablet XP that is licensed for that actual PC, and I want to
> tell others how to do it so they can for themselves.
In your solution you had 2 windows copies running at the same time. That you
can't do with only one license.

> And you didn't address why it's acceptable for the WINE project to tell
> people to use native .dlls in WINE without loading a full session of
> Windows, but not acceptable for me.
That's up to people to decide what they do and legality of it. If you read
some posts where people suggesting use of native dlls - that's not a
_project_ telling everyone to use those dlls.

> Is WINE itself breaking the law, and what is the difference to what I am thinking of  if the project is not?
Wine itself DOES NOT break the law. Nor is it's intention to break the law
in any way shape or form. What you proposing - does.

It seems you missing the whole point of the Wine project. Wine's objective
is to run windows programs _WITHOUT_ windows. So no one is obligated to pay
m$ tax on their hardware.

Designing something that runs on Wine and requires that windows is
absolutely wrong.

Anyway. You are welcome to send patches that implement required
functionality in Wine (after the wine-1.0 is out of course).

Vitaliy.