How to phrase Wine's success rate

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun May 25 05:28:35 CDT 2008

When making announcements about Wine 1.0, it's useful
to include an objective measure of how well it works for
the average app, one that correctly conveys both
Wine's promise and its limitations.

Our current appdb stats are:

Platinum	1500
Gold    	1763
Silver  	1194
Bronze  	1071
Garbage 	2512

That's 19% platinum and 41% gold-or-platinum.
(Given rating inflation, we probably shouldn't claim that silver
or below means "working" for the average person.)

How about:
"Of the apps we have tested with Wine, about 20% work well,
and about another 20% work but have some glitches."

That assumes we don't have too many regressions.
It'd be nice if the appdb could give finer grained
summaries, e.g. counts of apps that had actually been
tested with wine-1.0rc*.
- Dan