How to phrase Wine's success rate

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun May 25 11:55:51 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg231 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Of the apps we have tested with Wine, about 20% work well,
>> and about another 20% work but have some glitches."
>
> Just my opinion, but that's a terrible idea to put in the 1.0 announcement.
> The impression I get after reading this is (1) wine is full of glitches, and
> (2)  it's being released with 80% of the apps not working well.

But if we aren't realistic, we'll get lots of blowback saying
"Wine is full of glitches, and most things I try don't work!  Wine is crap!"
Better that they know the limitations ahead of time.

How about this for more positive yet realistic phrasing:
"Of the apps we have tested with Wine, about half work well
enough to try, and of those, half work well enough to use routinely.
In particular, Photoshop CS2, World of Warcraft, Firefox 2, and many
small apps run very well.  .NET based apps and Photoshop CS3
are not yet supported."

> If you're trying to appeal to new users and/or sponsors you should put more
> focus on the positives. I don't see Fedora saying "Release features include
> X, Y and Z, but X has a bunch of bugs"

That's because Fedora largely works far better than Wine does.
- Dan