How to phrase Wine's success rate

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg231 at gmail.com
Sun May 25 13:24:29 CDT 2008

> How about this for more positive yet realistic phrasing:
> "Of the apps we have tested with Wine, about half work well
> enough to try, and of those, half work well enough to use routinely.
> In particular, Photoshop CS2, World of Warcraft, Firefox 2, and many
> small apps run very well.  .NET based apps and Photoshop CS3
> are not yet supported."

That just sounds more confusing...

Is "percent of apps we tested" a formal release criterion for Wine 1.0 ?
If not, the stats seem irrelevant as far as this release is concerned.
If yes, why release with so many apps not working well ?

If you want to set realistic expectations - list major supported apps
along with a link to appdb called "Will my app work under WINE?".  Then
the users will have a realistic expectation of whether their individual
apps work. Setting realistic expectations with a rather low percentage
number just means a lot of people won't even bother trying.

Ivan