How to phrase Wine's success rate

Markus kde at graph-ix.net
Sun May 25 14:33:26 CDT 2008

On Sunday 25 May 2008 20:41:51 Dan Kegel wrote:
> One more try:
> "Wine 1.0 runs apps like Photoshop CS2, World of Warcraft, Firefox 2,
> and a thousand other apps (see http://appdb.winehq.org) well.
> Try it on your favorite app and see if it works for you; the smaller
> the app, the more likely it is to work well.
> Photoshop CS3 and .NET applications are not yet supported.
> Wine is continually improving, and many apps that didn't work well last
> year work well now.  Overall, about one in four apps tested work well as of
> Wine 1.0.  See the Wine FAQ (http://wiki.winehq.org) for more info."

I think games are important to mention explicitly at least once. Therefore (+
a bit of restructuring):

"Wine 1.0 runs thousands of applications and games well, among them Photoshop
CS2 and World of Warcraft. To find out if your favorite applications work,
try them on Wine yourself or consult our application database under
http://appdb.winehq.org. While some complex applications such as Photoshop
CS3 and software written with .NET are not supported yet, you will find that
many simple applications will work. In addition, Wine is continually
improving and we expect to support even more applications in the future.
Overall, about one in four tested applications work well as of Wine 1.0.  See
the Wine FAQ (http://wiki.winehq.org) for more info."

--
Markus