Best place for HOWTO documents for your favourite application?

Adam Petaccia adam at tpetaccia.com
Mon May 26 11:25:32 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 00:11 +0100, Reece Dunn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying our various Oberon Media games. The thing that is
> holding this up from working is the hyperlinks on the intro screen (I
> am going to enter a bug report later on).
>
> I have worked out how to run and register the games (given a valid
> registration key that you have purchased) so that they will work under
> Wine. So this got me wondering... where do I put this?
>
> This complements the appdb, but is in a way orthogonal to it (that is
> there may be HOWTOs relating to individual games/applications, to
> vendors or to other areas such as installing Windows themes like the
> Zune theme). It will also help when more people start using Wine and
> want to get their favorite application running.
>
> My initial thoughts are that the wiki seems like a good place for
> this. Thoughts? Comments?
The problem with wikis is that they don't expire unless someone actually
goes through the pages and updates them. So say AwesomeGame 1.0 doesn't
work with Wine 1.0-rc2, and some workarounds are written down. 6 months
later with AwesomeGame 1.6 is out, and so is Wine 1.2, the game now
works out of the box. But the workarounds are still listed on the Wiki.

AppDB deals with this rather well, because for most games you don't see
old-as-* work-arounds that may actually be potentially damaging (No-CD
cracks that aren't needed, etc).

So I'd vote for AppDB.